Tulips-Winter Or Spring Flower?


So, what do you think?  Do you consider tulips a winter flower or a spring flower?

I think most people would say spring, but here in southern Ontario they've been local grown since late October  which means that right now is actually peak tulip time.

A few years ago we made an arrangement for a lady in December.  She asked for reds and whites and a Christmas feel.  We used winter greens and white flowers ( I think they were roses and chincherinchee), and for the red we used red tulips.  She was very upset, saying that everyone at the dinner party she was at wanted to know why she had brought a "spring" arrangement.  It was rather eye-opening for us at the time.  I don't think we had seriously considered the fact that people are so very certain of what belongs in each season, or that  it could be so different from what is actually the case and can differ so much from person to person.

I am now very careful when someone says to me they want a seasonal bouquet, always clarifying what exactly that means.  If I said a" seasonal  bouquet" to you today, would that bring to mind fall tones such as oranges and yellows or would you consider it to mean winter?  What the heck are winter colours anyway?  Does that mean all white?  Can I use tulips, or is that (to you) a spring flower?

-----jess

Comments

Popular Posts